Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sell your MacBook

Replacing SSD

NiiNii
edited September 2013 in MacBook Pro
Hi guys..my macbook died..probably from a failed logic board..thinking of getting a retina macbook but wld love to keep my old hard drive and would like to know if it's possible to replace the SSD that normally comes to with the new retina macbooks with my old hard drive..hope to hear from u and thx for reading.

Comments

• Hi! Thanks for the post!

Unfortunately the MacBooks with Retina display do not use a standard 2.5" SSD hard drive, but instead have an SSD "module" that is more like a piece of RAM than a hard drive. Because of this, your hard drive will not fit directly into the Retina MacBook.

What you can do is put your hard drive into a cheap external USB enclosure, connect it to the Retina MacBook, and then choose to restore from an external hard drive during the setup process. It will then migrate all your relevant data over to the new machine, so once it's done it will effectively be as if you have moved over the old hard drive.

The only thing to keep in mind is that Retina Pros generally have 256GB or 512GB of storage...there is a 768GB option, but it's prohibitively expensive. So depending on the size of your current hard drive, you might find that you are not able to migrate all of your existing data to the new machine. But, again, if you've got the drive in an external enclosure, you can always access excess data externally when you need it.

Good luck, and let me know if that helps!

John
  • Thx so much for the reply John..well noted