Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sell your MacBook

How do you boot Macbook Pro 15" without keyboard?

KGBKGB
edited December 2011 in MacBook Pro
Hi,

I've spilled liquid on my MBP 15" unibody (2009) and the keyboard along with the power button no longer work. I can confirm the rest of the laptop is functioning normally as the keyboard initially worked but got progressively worse until it finally died today.

The replacement keyboard is going to take some time to arrive, and until then I would like to use the laptop so what I'm looking for are the jumpers on the logic board to start up the machine without a keyboard. I've found them for a number of different models already, so any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• edited December 2011
    I dug around some, and it looks like procedure on this model is a little different, in that it may not have the two power-on pads that most unibody machines do...I'm not sure why they would deviate from the standard for one model, but it looks like they have.

Anyway, with the keyboard ribbon cable disconnected, it appears you need to bridge pin 5 (counting from the left) of the keyboard connector to the ground (the metal circular object on the board) just to the right of the keyboard connector. Apparently this "jumps" the board in the same way as the power-on pads in other models.

I hope that helps, and let me know how it goes -- I'm curious to hear if this works exactly the same as the other method.

Thanks,

John
  • Hi John,

This works perfectly! Not sure if I was touching pin 5 specifically as they are very close together but grounding them works.

Thanks for the help.
  • No problem, and I'm glad to hear it worked out!