Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sell your MacBook

Macbook Pro Coffee damage, partial keyboard shutdown.

edited June 2012 in MacBook Pro
Hi,
Recently spilled coffee over the keyboard and had the bottom case replaced. Now it appears that some keyboard keys are not functioning properly. The bottom row of keys do not work plus the line from "v,g,t" and to the right hand side do not work either although "h" does and "backspace" with a few others in that area, the remainder do not. Unit powers up okay, brings up login screen but cannot use keyboard to enter login codes.
What would my options be here besides replacing the top case as well. Having to replace both will be the same price as a complete new unit. So I am hoping there may be a quick fix of some kind.

Current model Macbook Pro 13 aluminium case, running Lion.

Comments

• edited June 2012
    A group of keys is controlled by each small wire in the keyboard ribbon cable, so if a few keys in a row do not work, that generally means the electronics behind them got fried, and there really is no way to recover a keyboard in that state. If a single key is non-functional, in theory there is the possibility that a physical obstruction or liquid residue is causing the issue, and that popping the key off and cleaning underneath can restore its use, but, again, several keys in a row indicate that the keyboard has almost certainly experienced irreparable damage.

You can replace just the keyboard, and depending on the deal you find on eBay you might save $20-$50 compared to buying the entire topcase with keyboard attached, however the keyboard swap is difficult and it's common for the keyboard illumination to be uneven when you're done, so I'd recommend buying the entire piece if at all possible.

If you go to the "tutorials" section, you'll find my video on replacing the keyboard, which may help you decide which way you want to go.

Also, coffee is corrosive, and corrosive liquids do more damage over time, so I'd make sure to take out the logic board and clean off all signs of liquid exposure with 91% alcohol and a soft toothbrush.

Good luck!

John
  • Thank you John. I was afraid that it may be the case that I would have to replace the entire top unit with keyboard. So be it. Thank you for the advice.