Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sell me your broken computer

MacBook Pro 13" Not Charging/Recognising Magsafe Adapter after (slight) water damage

edited April 2015 in MacBook Pro
Hi there,

A few days ago I accidentally spilt a tiny amount of water on the top left side of my MacBook Pro 13". The computer died instantly, but a few minutes after I wiped off the remaining water it came back to life and was operating fine. I left it overnight - not plugged in - and woke up to find the battery dead (the light was flashing on the battery indicator). I tried to plug it in to the Magsafe adapter but it wouldn't charge.

I took it into an official repairs shop, and they advised me that the battery was faulty and would have to be replaced. $230 later, they replaced the battery and the laptop is running fine off the 40% the new battery had but I have just plugged the computer in to find that it is still not charging!

There is no recognition whatsoever that a charger has been plugged in; no light at all on the head of the adapter, and the battery icon remains as it was on the actual Macbook's top-right display.

I am naturally very annoyed that replacing the battery did nothing but I am now unsure what is wrong with the computer! I think it may be the water damage on the MagSafe power port - is it possible to replace these? If so, is it cheap/easy?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Answers

  • Hi, and thanks for the post!

    First off, it's extremely odd that a tech should determine a battery is bad after the computer experienced liquid damage to the location you indicated. I would be suspicious of this tech. And unless you have a very new MacBook Pro, a new battery should not cost $230. Let me know what the serial number is so I have an idea what we're looking at. You should probably take the laptop back and get a $230 refund, and have them put the $230 toward the real problem, which I'm 99.99% sure is not the battery.

    Yes most DC-ins are replaceable and not that expensive, but again I would need to know which Pro we're looking at. Also, I would remove the lower casing and take a look at the board with a flashlight to see if you can spot any traces of corrosion. It's not necessarily the DC-in that is at fault, so it would be a mistake to automatically make that assumption.

    Also, I would download the free app Coconut Battery and see what numbers it shows on your battery. Specifically, does it show numbers that indicate it has a reading on the battery, or is it failing to to get a reading (showing garbled numbers)?

    Thanks,

    John
Sign In or Register to comment.