I purchased a MacBook Air 13" mid 2013 that had coffee spilled on and dried in a sauna (heat room). I have cleaned the spills, replaced the screen backing sheets and the keyboard keys. The laptop is now usable but not 100% ok. The battery showed no capacity, had the X logo at the top bar, and wasn't charging so I removed it and am now using a power adapter secured by tape. The strange thing is the power adapter light is solid amber. I think it should be green when no battery is present. SMC and NVRAM have been reset a few times, and it is running the latest OS 10.9.5.
The other problem is that the CPU frequency doesn't get above 0.80GHz (1.3GHz model), and the fan doesn't speed up from the base 1200 rpm under a multi-core stress test. The CPU temperature doesn't get above 57°C.
Could the SMC chip be fried, or does the OSX have a CPU clock frequency limit when no battery is present?