Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sell your MacBook

Boot issue/Video glitch hang -> MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz 17" 2007 ,MacBookPro3,1 A1229

edited September 2014 in MacBook Pro
Hi,

After problematic boot issues I believed the problem centered on the old 160 Gb original hd in this machine. I installed a Samsung 840 EVO SSD and extra RAM thinking some more life could be had with these upgrades. I then tried installing Mountain Lion, which after some difficulty finally installed.

Now, the MBP will sometimes:

- hang on boot up after the Apple appears and it starts cycling.
- restart on its own.
- get stuck in a boot loop.
- boot up only to eventually hang after a checkerboard glitch on the screen.

I'm thinking it's the logic board or the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT GPU.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this behavior?

Thanks!

Justin

Comments

• Thanks for the post! Sorry to say it, but those are symptoms of the NVIDIA video defect, which means your board is slowly going out. Specifically the checkerboard pattern means it's 100% definite. It only gets worse with time, to the point where eventually you'll have just a black screen and the sleep light on. You can replace the board, or pay someone to do a reflow, but unfortunately what it comes down to is backing up your data while it's still retrievable.

Sorry! :-(

Thanks,

John
  • I figured that was the case, but wanted a 2nd opinion to be sure. The data is backed up, I'll just have to break the news to the owner.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Justin