Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sell your MacBook

Upgrading 2009 Dual Core MacBook Pro

2»

Comments

• The best way to determine which MacBooks will work with an OS is to Google "X system requirements", where X is the OS in question. You'll quickly find the supported list of machines for that OS.

• Do you have an thoughts on using an eGPU with a 27" iMac?

Bizon appears to have stopped selling their BizonBox 3, however,
    there are other eGPU boxes

E.g. Razor Core X, Razor Core V2, ...

https://egpu.io/razer-core-x-review-thick-juicy/

Are these peripherals stable with Catalina?
    Some posts indicate they are stable (with Mathematica, Matlab, Tensorflow, PyTorch), other posts say they are not stable.

• Hello!

You know, I have never used one so I really have no idea. Cool concept though. I would contact the manufacturer about stability. Perhaps you can buy one from a place with a good return policy, so if it doesn't meet your needs you can return it. Also, obviously, you want to make sure the apps you want to run can benefit...I've known some people who upgraded a GPU only to discover that their favorite app doesn't really use the GPU!

Anyway, let me know how it goes -- I'd be interested to hear what you think.

Thanks,

John

• edited May 2020

Recently, I had a Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD fail on my MacBookPro. It died after4 years and 51 weeks. Samsung has a 5 year warranty, so I sent it back for repair. They said the SSD has a 1% failure rate. I was running lots of programs which caused the Mac to swap.
    Do you think this usage could cause the SSD to fail? Or, could they SSD have been hacked?

Also, several drops of water leaked on to my display. I shut off the Mac and directed warm air at it for a while. When I powered it back on the right side of the display shift brightness slightly. Then the whole display shifted 'bluish'. I recalibrated the display with my DataColor Spyder4.
    It looked normal. But, as soon as I saved the new color profile it reverted back to bluish.

Now it seems stable. What could have been happening?

$ ls -l ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/
    total 144
    -rw-r--r--@ 1 davidlaxer staff 10544 May 4 13:29 Apple MacBook Pro-1
    -rw-r--r--@ 1 davidlaxer staff 10544 May 4 13:39 Apple MacBook Pro-2
    -rw-r--r--@ 1 davidlaxer staff 10536 May 4 19:30 Apple MacBook Pro-3
    -rw-r--r--@ 1 davidlaxer staff 10536 May 6 07:03 Apple MacBook Pro-4
    -rw-r--r--@ 1 davidlaxer staff 10536 May 6 07:16 Apple MacBook Pro-5
    -rw-r--r--@ 1 davidlaxer staff 10540 May 10 07:34 Apple MacBook Pro-6

• Hi!

SSDs fail...it's probably not worth the effort trying to determine what went wrong. I have a dozen SSDs I use daily for imaging laptops, and I probably replace 2-3 a year due to failure. They are more reliable than mechanical drives, but they do fail.

If liquid gets into a display it can cause any given kind of damage. I would try resetting the PRAM, because I have seen that eliminate the "curtains" video effect, but beyond that, you're probably stuck with whatever physical damage is there. It may naturally go away with time, or it might get worse.

• Do you have any comments on MacMail search? SpotLight search works on everything including email. Email search doesn't work at all.

$ ls -lrt Env*
    -rwxr-xr-x@ 1 davidlaxer staff 32768 May 15 08:21 Envelope Index-shm
    -rwxr-xr-x@ 1 davidlaxer staff 4309552 May 15 09:00 Envelope Index-wal
    -rwxr-xr-x@ 1 davidlaxer staff 86241280 May 15 09:00 Envelope Index

$ sudo mdutil -a -i on
    Password:
    /:

Indexing enabled. 

• To be honest, I don't even know what that is.