Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sell your MacBook

Powerbook G4 Titanium, where to get new battery and PRAM battery

Hi John, just booted my trusty old G4 after watching your very informative PRAM battery fix video. Thank you!!!
I use the machine for programming slide projectors, and would like to keep it running. Do you have any tips on how to get a new PRAM battery and a battery for it? IT would be a great help.
Thank you, Ulrik

Comments

• Hi Ulrik! Thanks for the post, and I'm glad to hear you liked the video!

For some reason Titanium batteries are absurdly expensive -- I've seen them for $150! This may sound crazy, but the best way to get both types of batteries is to buy broken Titaniums on eBay. For example, you can get something like this for $45:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Powerbook-G4-Titanium-Model-Power-PC-G4-Screen-does-not-work/264106416395?hash=item3d7df8190b:g:UxUAAOSwXTVcJZrv

It has best offer enabled, so you might even be able to get it for $30! Of course there is no guarantee the battery works, so it's a gamble, but it's potentially a much better deal, plus you end up with a spare Titanium for parts.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

John

• Hi John, Thanks for answering. I will try to have it re-celled. Does this go for the PRAM battery as well?

• Yikes, wouldn't that cost a lot of money? Lemme know how that goes -- I'm curious. Yes, you can find PRAM batteries in scrap machines as well.

• Hello and sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I happen to have a very related issue. I just got a PowerBook G4 (A1025) - I'm missing the main battery (I can live without it for now), and I'd like to try replacing the cell for the PRAM, as it seems dead.

I've managed to remove the PRAM battery module, however googling around for the labels present on the battery cell (like MH12210M, 2Z14) doesn't get me anywhere. Is it possible al all, to use some off-the-shelf cell as a replacement, or is my only chance in fishing on eBay?